US Soccer has launched an official Supporters Club. For $49.95, you get:
- A special edition scarf
- Priority status to purchase 2010 World Cup tix prior to sale to the general public
- Priority status to purchase USMNT game tix prior to sale to the general public
- Team yearbook
- Discount at ussoccerstore.com
Fox Soccer Channel officially announced that they will indeed be broadcasting the UEFA Champions League starting next season, and it plans to be broadcasting in HD by the end of 2009. Here are some of the highlights of the announcement.
- Fox Sports Network channels including Fox Sports South will broadcast 16 live matches
- Final will be broadcast on FX
- FSC will show one live and 2 rebroadcasts each match day
- FSC will have live pregame and postgame shows from its LA studios
- FSC will have a 30 minute highlight show each matchday
- Foxsoccer.com will have video highlights
- Setanta will continue to air select matches
Last night, Rocket City United played an impromptu friendly against the newly crowned Over-30 Alabama champion Law Dogs.
RCU pressed their advantage in years and quickness early to score 2 quick goals within the first 10 minutes. With ages twice that of some of their competitors, the Old Law Dogs struggled to chase down the RCU attackers as they switched the ball from one attacker to the other. It didn't get much better for the Old Law Dogs as Rafa Barbosa, Derek Pirtle, and Norbert Webley of RCU seemed to have solved the finishing problems they experienced in the 2008 campaign. RCU found net several more times to end the first half at an astounding 8:0 advantage.
The onslaught abated only slightly after the halftime break. After capitalizing on an errant back passes and some breathless dribbling by Barbosa, RCU tallied 4 more times. However, all was not lost for the Old Dogs. After some nice combination work by Old Dogs' midfielders Donald Lao, Joseph Lawrence, and Yuni Heo, Steve Provencio was taken down from behind in the area only to have no whistle blow. Another chance fell to the ever present Lao, but the ball wouldn't settle for him from just above the spot and the chance was wasted. After several minutes of pressure, the break finally came. A poor clearance of an Old Dog corner kick fell to John "Nasty" Lawrence on the wing. Nasty did well to elude several challenges and send in a seeing eye cross for aerial specialist Ryan Harbaugh to nod down past a helpless Jeffrey Preston in the RCU goal. RCU calls for offside went unheard as Harbaugh timed his run to perfection. Shortly after, full time had been reached and handshakes were exchanged on a good run out for both teams.
RCU has added a home and away series with the Mississippi Brilla of the PDL to its 2009 schedule. Go here or more info and other RCU news.