Friday, March 25, 2011

Soccer Saturday

Saturday is a huge day for soccer, both locally and nationally.  If you are a soccer fan in Huntsville, you'll have a bevy of opportunities to watch the game you love.  Here's how I'm going to be spending my Soccer Saturday.

10 AM Wales v England,  ESPN2

This is a European Cup qualifier between the two British sides.  I'm no fan of England, so I'll be cheering on the Welsh, but it's too bad we won't see Gareth Bale for this match.
RCU is back in action at John Hunt Soccer Stadium at 1PM on Saturday
1 PM Rocket City United v Martin Methodist College, John Hunt Soccer Stadium
I will make the short trip over to Airport Road to check out the local semi-pro side in action.  Coach Gerry Cleary will be pulling double duty as head coach of both teams.

UPDATE:  The RCU match has been canceled.   Looks like I'll have a chance to watch the Germany match from the start.

2 PM Germany v Kazakhstan, ESPN3.com
Hopefully, I'll get home in time to catch the some of the second half before I turn my attention to the MLS action.  This European Cup qualifier should be a cakewalk for Germany's young phenoms.

3:30 PM New England Revolution v DC United, MLS Direct Kick
Time to sit down and watch my hometown club DC United as they try to follow up on their opening weekend win.  Can Charlie Davies continue his amazing comeback with the Black and Red?

BTW, if you don't have MLS Direct Kick, what are you waiting for?  If you have cable, In Demand offers it.  If you have satellite, both DirecTV and Dish Network have it, too.  $80 for the season is just too good to pass up.


6 PM USA v Argentina, ESPN2
Our Yanks against Messi and his Gauchos.  Enough said.


8 PM Real Salt Lake v LA Galaxy, MLS Direct Kick
The best team in MLS, RSL will host some overrated English guy and his pals.  My buddy, Matt, is a Galaxy fan.  So, I'm sure I'll be sending him texts to tease him about his team losing to RSL.  :)

9:30 PM Chivas USA v Colorado Rapids, MLS Direct Kick
A long day of soccer comes to a close as I catch the MLS Cup Champions Colorado facing the baby goats of Chivas USA.

No comments:

Post a Comment