Friday, July 17, 2009

MLS Commish Talks Expansion; Doesn't Mention B'ham

Since the Birmingham MLS expansion rumors are hot right now, I guess I'll keep a closer eye on what the MLS powers are saying regarding expansion. So...

Just days after B'ham rumors were ignited by Mayor Larry Langford's announcements regarding the new domed stadium, MLS Commissioner Don Garber talked to Brian Lewis of the New York Post about the league's priorities when choosing the next few markets for expansion.

"We're not south of Washington, D.C. Markets like Atlanta, Carolina, Florida, we have to figure out how we capture another 50 million people in this country,'' said Garber, who felt the Southwest wasn't a priority and recent expansion has helped cover the West Coast.

"But you get east into the Midwest, we're feeling a little weak there. We need a team in St. Louis, and we're trying to figure out how to make that work.''

Notably missing was a mention of B'ham. That's not good.

Just as an aside, a few years ago my buddy, who is a big MLS fan but will remain nameless, saw Don Garber at a US National Team game and asked him about the chances of a team landing in B'ham. Garber's reply... "No chance."

I know, it's one of those I-know-a-guy-who-knows-a-guy stories, but I just thought I'd toss it out there. This is a blog after all!

No comments:

Post a Comment