Monday, September 28, 2009

Weekend College Round Up

Both of Huntsville's college teams came out of their weekend contests undefeated. Alabama A&M topped Jacksonville Invitational hosts Jacksonville University 2:1 on Friday and earned a 1:1 draw with Stetson University. UAH opened their Gulf South Conference play on Friday with a 4:3 overtime win at Harding University and followed up yesterday with a 1:0 win at Ouachita Baptist University.

UAH Opens Conference With Two Road Wins

Two goals from sophomore Kyle Gonclaves and one late from freshman Tony Stock forced overtime with HU to turn what could have been disaster into a chance for glory. With time running out on the first OT period, junior Brett Hughson realized that glory and converted a ball from junior Sean Kerber for the 4:3 winner.

UAH sophomore midfielder Oscar Leon's second half strike was all that UAH would need to rack their second conference win in as many tries over OBU. Despite the final score, it was a bit of a one sided affair as UAH would pound the OBU goal with 15 shots on the day. OBU's goalkeeper pulled in 9 saves in a fruitless effort while UAH's Tyler Early recorded the shut-out with one stop.

A&M Win One, Tie One In Jacksonville

A&M goalkeeper Paul Musoke was undoubtedly the man of the match in Friday's 2:1 A&M win over JU. After going down 1:0 in the first half, A&M got a goal early in the second stanza from Abraham Kassaye to level the score. Then in the 67th minute, A&M won a free kick just outside the penalty area, Musoke took a jog up the field to line up over the ball. And with Jose Luis Chilavert-like precision drove a low drive eluding the wall and into the left corner of the JU goal. Muskoke added 6 saves to his stat line to preserve the victory.

A&M followed up that victory with a well earned draw yesterday on the road to undefeated Stetson. Stetson pinched a goal just before half-time when Ryan Asare-Bediako finished off a cross in the dying seconds. A&M battled back and in the 69th minute, Cesar Ramirez assisted Eric Kamya's deflected shot which eluded the Stetson keeper for the equalizer. Neither team could register for the remainder and the match ended with a 1:1 draw.

No comments:

Post a Comment